In January of this year, we were surprised by the death of our dear Jorge Sotomayor. This year, Soto, as he liked to be called, would be 80
years old on March 25th.
To honor his work and his memory, we will hold an event on that day: “Memorial Day in honor of Jorge Sotomayor”.
The event will be completely online and will start at 10 AM (local time in São Paulo, GMT-3) with some breaks and is scheduled to finish around 5:30 PM.
- Armengol Gasull (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Centre de Recerca Matemàtica)
- Carmen Chicone (University of Missouri)
- César Camacho (IMPA, Fundação Getúlio Vargas)
- Debora Lopes da Silva (Universidade Federal de Sergipe)
- Jaume Llibre (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona)
- Marco A. Teixeira (Universidade Estadual de Campinas)
- Michail Zhitomirski (Technion – Israel Institute of Technology)
- Robert Roussarie (Université de Bourgogne)
- Ronaldo A. Garcia (Universidade Federal de Goias)
The event will consist of some short scientific lectures, given by important collaborators of Soto, dealing with original research topics and also by lectures describing Soto’s academic trajectory and his importance for the development of Peruvian mathematics. Those who are interested in making a comment or sharing some memory of Soto with us will have the opportunity to do so in the last part: the “contributions” section.
For better organization of the event, we ask that those who are interested in saying a few words in this final part, please contact the organizing committee, before March 20th, sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All the information about the event, including the link to follow the event, can be obtained at http://www.gsd.uab.cat/soto/
We look forward to everyone’s participation. We also count on your collaboration to publicize this important day.
Ronaldo A. Garcia (Universidade Federal de Goiás)
Luis F. Mello (Universidade Federal de Itajubá)
Paulo R. Silva (Universidade Estadual Paulista “Júlio de Mesquita Filho”)
Joan Torregrosa (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Centre de Recerca Matemàtica)